Connecting to Zune without calling Launch()

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Is there anyway to use your API without having to launch it's own instance of the Zune software?

I'm running Win7 x64 with Zune running in the background playing music, and when I launch your Debugging tool I would rather it find the running Zune.exe instance instead of requiring me to launch my own instance by clicking the Launch button.

I'm working on my own app that uses your API and it's a total pain to have to start/stop the zune software so often while debugging.

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don't think that is possible with the current Zune API from Microsoft. But as you might know it's still not documented or anywhere described as far as I know.

Currently I'm using the ZuneApplication.Launch(...) Method from the ZuneShell.dll to start Zune to have direct access to it. But if you find a solution to hook up with a running Zune instance please tell me.

May 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Hi, being no programmer myself, I'd just like to propose this app to you: http://www.last.fm/group/ZuseMe

This app detects the currently playing track from Zune without having to launch its own instance of Zune. However, there are some limitations, as the app has to estimate the track length. Anyway, you might want to check it out and contact the developer. 

If ZuneLCD was able to work without having to launch another Zune instance, the very last flaw would be fixed. :))

Oh, and it's currently impossible to copy text from any textarea from Zune launched by ZuneLCD. For instance, if you rename an album, you can't copy the highlighted text, as pressing CTRL+C won't work, sometimes it even crashes when you try to paste the text instead. 

Thanks a lot for considering my post.

Coordinator
May 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Hi, thanks for your post.

I will look into the app, but when you say it just estimates the track length it might not really connect to the Zune Software, but get the track information elsewhere (why else would it just estimate the length instead of using the real length?). I think I've heard from a similar app which can read the track title from some file and not the running application itself..

Anyway there might be some better solution, I still hope that Microsoft will someday release a proper interface to the Zune software, that would make many thinks easier! :-)